As the weather warms up and the days get longer, folks in central IL and IN start to feel the itch for summertime fun. But along with all the good that comes with warmer temps – like outdoor concerts and picnics – there are also some not-so-fun things that come along with it, like humidity, heavy rains, and of course, mosquitoes. That’s right, those pesky blood-suckers are back and they’re looking for a meal. But where are they most prevalent? Terminix Services, Inc has released its list of the top 10 cities in central IL and IN where mosquitoes are the biggest problem. So if you’re planning on spending any time outdoors this summer, be sure to pack your insect repellent!
As the summer heat starts to roll in, so do the mosquitoes. No one likes these pesky insects, but unfortunately they come with the territory. Luckily, there are steps you can take to minimize your exposure to them. Here at Terminix, we are dedicated to providing our customers with the best possible service, which is why we have ranked the top mosquito hot spots in Central IL and IN. If you live in or around any of these areas, we recommend having your yard professionally treated throughout the summer. By taking these precautions, you can help to keep yourself and your family safe from mosquito-borne diseases such as West Nile and Zika virus. So don’t wait, give us a call today and let us help you enjoy a bite-free summer!
Champaign, Danville, and Urbana are the top three mosquito-infested cities this season.
The top 10 list includes the following cities:
- Champaign, IL
- Danville, IL
- Urbana, IL
- Monticello, IL
- Mahomet, IL
- Hoopeston, IL
- Rantoul, IL
- Covington, IN
- Pontiac , IL
- Paris, IL
There are a few things you can do to reduce the number of mosquitoes around your home. Terminix recommends the following:
- Making sure water can flow properly through ditches, gutters, and culverts means cleaning away any debris that might be blocking it.
- You should empty and replace the water in birdbaths, plant pots or trays every week.
- Checking for pools of water near window air conditioner units and water spigots and repairing any leaks.
- It is important to properly maintain ponds and swimming pools.
- You can help prevent mosquitoes from breeding by keeping your grass cut and your shrubs trimmed. This will make it harder for adult mosquitoes to rest there.
- By maintaining the condition of windows and door screens, you’ll be able help to prevent mosquitoes from entering your home.
- Wear light-colored clothing, long pants, and long sleeves, when possible, and apply personal insect repellents that contain DEET to avoid bites.
- Filling tree cavities and hollow stumps with sand or concrete.
- Bottles, tires, drums, bottles, buckets or other water-holding containers should all be thrown away.
- If they can’t be thrown away, they should be turned over so water can’t collect in them. You should contact a licensed pest control professional to have your yard treated for mosquitoes.
There’s nothing quite like spending a warm summer evening outdoors, enjoying the fresh air and the company of friends and family. But when mosquitoes start biting, the fun quickly comes to an end. Thankfully, there’s Terminix. While we can’t promise that you’ll never get bitten by a mosquito again, our mosquito management services can significantly reduce the population of mosquitoes in your area, making it less likely that you’ll end up with a painful bite. So next time you’re planning a backyard barbecue or picnic, be sure to give us a call first. We’ll make sure your event is bite-free!